Sunday, October 12, 2014

NaNoWriMo

I am excited to be participating in NaNoWriMo this year. What is that? It is a web based community of authors who encourage and assist each other to write 50,000 or more words during the month of November. I have never participated in this, and am excited and nervous all at the same time. Doing the math, I plan to write about 2,000 words each day. That sounds like a lot, but it actually shouldn't be too hard. My daughter was looking for ideas for a short story and had asked people to help. I spent only about 30 minutes thinking of ideas and writing out some thoughts. In that time, I wrote 725 words. This means I should be able to do the needed writing each day in about an hour and a half. I will be able to devote time each weeknight to this project (except the night I meet with my writing group) because my husband will also be studying (for a test). I will also be able to devote time on the weekend to, hopefully, get ahead of the game. The most difficult part leading up to this is trying to decide on which story I will be focusing on. I have several stories to choose from, and I am not sure if I want to focus on one or bounce between a few. I am also hoping to plan my time so I can get as much writing done as possible, as well as keep up on the every day stuff. I will likely try different times of day to write, and may even do some writing at lunch. I am hoping to complete one story so I can work with my writing group and get edits done on it as well. I would love to publish by the end of the year, or early next year. Of course this also means deciding on the cover image and design, and working with someone on that. Perhaps I'll be able to get a story out by spring of 2015.

My biggest distraction will likely be the football games on Sundays. I am quite the sports nut, and do love to watch football (and yell at the TV). The other concern I have is that I've had a migraine for about a week. It ebbs and flows, some days worse than others, but constantly there in the background. I just hope my visit to my doctor will shed some light on what is going on. My eating habits haven't changed, my sleep habits haven't changed, my schedule hasn't changed, and I am not feeling more stressed than usual. I have a feeling I'll likely be doing some medical visits in the next few weeks, but it will hopefully result in no more headaches.

1 comment:

  1. Go Carrie! I am surprised that you have not already done the NanWriMo challenge. I've met other participants and thought you might have been one of them.

    ReplyDelete